Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Holiday Hangover


Being that we have finally stopped running from the holidays, the holiday hangover has set in.  All the holiday decorations are down and the house feels cold and bare.  So I'm trying my best to do some spring cleaning in hopes that spring comes quickly.  Last weekend, we got a little bit of snow.  So on Sunday, when the temperatures were frigid, E tied the snow sleds on to the three-wheeler he bought before Thanksgiving and took the kids around the yard 5-6 times.

Poor Con.  The snow was kicking up from the front of his sled, as evidenced by the mittens in the third & fourth photos.  The poor kid kept trying to move his handmade scarf out of his mouth and his snow-laden mittens would put more snow on his face.  The sled rides didn't last long, but they had fun while it lasted.

E had stopped for some reason and this was him starting -- do you see the whiplash the kids are getting?




Another big event (besides the return of school this week) was that Con moved into his big boy bed.  Yes, he is almost three and he has been sleeping next to me for the entirety of those three years.  In fact, he never even slept in his bassinet during our hospital stay on his delivery.  That kid has always been snuggled in next to mama.  I held him in the hospital while he slept and his dad slept in the bed next to mine, as I watched the Super Bowl and tried to stay awake for the commercials.  To be fair, I didn't sleep very well at the hospital, not because of pain, but because of my bed -- it was an pneumatic bed.  Every time I moved, that stupid bed would inflate or delate -- and it was SOOOOO loud.  Thank goodness we only stayed in the hospital for 36 hours.  When we got home, the little boy slept next to me in our bed, cordoned off by pillows on either side.  I had been sleeping on my side for 7 months, so it was ingrained in my head to not roll forward onto my stomach.  And he always slept so wonderfully next to me.

Well, after almost three years, he has officially be moved.  I thought that it would be a hard transition for him.  And it may end up being.  But right now, he is taking his big boy bed transition amazingly well.  We lay with him until he falls asleep (just like we do with Finn) and we go in and lay with him if he wakes in the middle of the night until he falls back asleep (just like we did with Finn when she used to wake up in the middle of the night).  After he is adjusted to sleeping in his bed, we will slowly be weaning both of them of us laying with them to fall asleep.  While there are nights, I wish I could just ship them to bed and shut the door, I try to remember that these nights aren't going to last forever and that in a few years, I am going to long for the nights when they both wanted me to snuggle with them while they lull off to dreamland.  It's crazy how fast time moves sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment