Sunday, December 2, 2012

Happy 41 weeks to my no-longer-toothless lady!

Alright, alright...  This post is a week late -- in the four week segments, I should have done a 40 week update.  In my defense, the 40-week Thursday (she was born on a Thursday) fell on Thanksgiving Day.  Not in my defense, I remember on Monday or Tuesday, thinking that I would just take the photo in Iowa.  But as holidays go, you live in the moment and completely forget things that you don't normally do (i.e. take a 40-week update photo and also call my best-friend/psuedo-sister on her birthday -- Sorry, Tara!  I was too busy huffing on Thanksgiving fumes)...

  • Scientifically, Finorah is weighing in at 21.6 pounds.  And she is 29.5 inches long.  (We had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday.)  It looks like she basically stayed completely the same as her 36-week update.
  • She is currently in size three diapers -- no change coming there.
  • We are moved into 12 month clothes.  I find that this size is pretty confusing.  There are things that are labeled 12 months and most are labeled 12-18 months.  The majority of the 12-18 month tops are WAY too big for her.  But she is too chunky to be fitting into the 6-9 month tops.  I'm not really sure why they aren't making a 9-12 month size.  So I think that we will be hanging out in (12)12-18 months size for quite a while.

  •  We are still breastfeeding.  But I discuss at her 9-month checkup at the doctor's how to go about weaning her (insert super sad face here).  It really makes me sad that by her next doctor's appointment, I'll be actively trying to wean her.  Our breastfeeding journey hasn't been the smoothest, but it worked best for us.  My initial aim was 6 months, which turned into 12 months.  I'm so thankful that we have been able to get this far and we still aim for 12 months.  I think that I'm going to be one of those weepy moms when she finally stops.
  • We have moved away from the purees for her dinner with us for the most part.  She is actively eating whatever it is that we eat, which makes me more conscious of how healthy my food is.  She really loves eating -- let's hope that continues.
  • One of the two super-big developments of the past five weeks?  She got her first tooth and is pushing through her second!  Her first tooth arrived the first week of November.  And holy moly was that an event.  For an entire week, she was a grumpy bear.  She also ended up with her first ear infection, which didn't help the teething pain.  Thankfully, her second tooth hasn't been as severe as the first.  She has definitely had her grumpy moments, but most of the time, she hasn't turned into Finorah the Frightful.  In fact, my parents were the first to alert me to her second tooth coming over Thanksgiving, then confirmed by the doctor on Wednesday.
  • Her second super-big development?  We have become Finorah the Fast One.  She was scooting for a couple of weeks and started full-on crawling on the 14th, the day before E's birthday.  Last night was the first night that she actively tried to crawl away from me.  She usually sticks pretty close to me -- crawling short distances for toys.  Last night, she actually crawled out of my sight.  Definitely time for the baby gates!
  • She is also pulling herself up to her knees on things, much to my chagrin.  And when placed in the standing position next to something, she can stand for quite a while.  She isn't the sturdiest yet -- lots of wobbling all over the place.  She hasn't really bonked herself on the coffee table yet, which is her favorite thing to try to see over top of.  I have a plan in mind for that -- we bought a super-cheap oval coffee table at Goodwill.  I am going to turn that sucker into an ottoman-type coffee table, so she can't bonk herself.  Yes, I realize that she will be bonking herself at some point.  But why not at least try to minimize the bruises as she is learning to steady herself.
  • She is also a mimicker now.  She will copy what you say (if it's in her vocabulary which isn't that big yet).  She will now say "mama" after I say "mama".  Our conversations are limited to "baba", "dada", "mama" and hers and my personal favorite "ahppppft".  I keep pointing to myself and saying "mama" hoping that her first word is to me.  I'm sure it's going to be something like "Meow" or "Arf".
  • She has gotten really good at using her outside voice inside.  When you take something out of her reach, she will let out of a screech, furrow her brow and then look at you as if to say "Seriously.  Give that back."  She doesn't cry -- just lets out a screechy whine and gives you the evil eye.
  • She is a big dancer and will dance when she hears music.  It's the cutest.  She swings her arms and rocks back and forth to the beat.  She also loves to "waltz" around the house.  I'll take her hand and we will dip and skip around.  She is so happy at that point.  Makes this mama excited about our future dance parties.
  • We are still working on our sleep.  She doesn't sleep through the night and it was pretty frustrating to Eain.  When I talked with the doctor and she said that the reason that she isn't sleeping through the night is because she needs that night feeding to ensure that she is getting enough fluids.  She doesn't drink a lot at daycare.  In fact, I've cut back her afternoon bottle.  The ladies at daycare were telling me that she didn't finish her afternoon 5 oz and they would have to dump my breastmilk down the drain.  So instead of dumping, I cut back.  She takes 5 oz in the am and 3 oz in the pm.  She nurses at about 5:30 and then again at 8:30 right before bedtime.  The doctor said that it's a good thing that she is still waking up to get that third feeding in.  I'm trying to push the night feeding to as close to my alarm as possible.  So it's like her morning breakfast and then she will sleep in her crib longer -- in fact, we had one night this week where she went to sleep at 9pm and didn't wake up until I got her at 4:30am and then slept again until 9:15am!  But we only have to work on the night feeding for another 2.5 months.  Then Daddy can feed her a bottle in the morning before daycare.
  • Her hair is also really starting to grow quickly.  We are in the in-between phase right now.  It's not short anymore, but it's not long enough to lay down properly.  It's also really fine.  That leads to LOTS of static and rooster-tails all over the place.  It looks in the back that it might end up not being stick straight (which would make sense as both Eain and I have naturally wavy/curly hair).

No comments:

Post a Comment