Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A little better all the time...


The photos of this post are courtesy of Fish's first bath...


 The chorus of the Beatles' song sounds like my weekend -- A little better all the time (It can't get no worse)...  It all began on Thursday evening.  Fish woke up at 1am and then continued to wake every hour on the hour to nurse.  That continued through Friday and Friday night.  On Saturday, the nursing every hour had slowed, but the epic crankiness that took it's place surpassed anything that I had experienced with him (besides a couple of hours of painful gas early on).  Add that in with the fact that Finn was also very very cranky (probably thanks to the head cold that daycare gave us).  She didn't nap very well and that led to an afternoon and evening where 90% of the time someone or both were crying at the same time.  Ugh!  But I am now armed with the knowledge that a very cranky Fish should be put in the Moby wrap and walked around the house -- instantly asleep and he didn't hardly nap the entire day.  Unfortunately, I arrived at this conclusion after 4 hours of crying...



I actually drank TWO beers that evening.  Two in a row!!  I haven't had two beers in a row in probably a little under a year!  But you know what?  We survived.  Was I really bitchy when E came home that evening?  Of course.  But I made it -- and the kids made it.  And I didn't even have to give myself a time out!  I'm thinking that if I can survive a toddler coming down with a cold and a infant with a growth spurt -- I can probably do just about anything!  (Remind me of this when I decide to take the kids to the grocery store all by myself...)

Oh, yeah about that solo trip to the grocery store with two kids -- check that one off the list as well!!!  It was totally accidental, of course -- but don't mind that.  On Sunday, we stopped to get air in my car.  I had shut off the car but left the radio on.  In the 5 minutes it took to put air in the tires, my car battery was dead.  I had been having issues with a low battery for a while, but STILL -- only 5 minutes!  So there we were...  Stuck in the shopping center parking lot with a dead battery.  So while E figured out how to jump it, I walked Finn & Fish across the parking lot, plopped them in a grocery cart (the cute little truck cart that Finn wanted to drive) and I went shopping for the few things that were on my list.  My only complaint is that with a toddler and an infant in a car seat, there was NO room for groceries.  Someone needs to design a grocery cart that can contain a toddler, an infant and more than a loaf of bread.  I had to practically place the groceries on poor little Fish's lap.  But our little shopping trip was also a success!!

Someone was a Pretty, Pretty Princess yesterday...

And on Monday, I was able to get out of the house for about 20 minutes alone (yes, without any child in tow) and walked Munk around the block as it was so glorious out that evening.  It was the first time that I was able to get away and out of the house since Fish was born.  E took Finn and Fish over to the neighbors and he did an excellent job with Fish as Finn got to play with the neighbors' 20-something girls who adore her.

The growth spurt is now over.  Fish is back to sleeping his normal schedule (sort of) and feeding on an only slightly elevated-normal schedule.  And the best part?  He is now so alert.  He looks around and can focus on things.  He knows my voice and will turn his head towards my direction.  And he is now talking up a storm.  Lots of cooing and gurgling going on with this little dude.  I can place him on his back underneath his activity mat or in the pack-n-play and he will kick and talk to the animals hanging above his head.


Fish also received his first official bath last night.  He is almost six weeks old and is JUST getting his first bath?  Yes, yes, I know...  He had gotten lots of poor-man's bath (wash cloth bathes), but was never submerged in water since his hospital bath hours after he was born.  The weather is just so cold which makes our house too chilly for a newborn bath.  And the main reason is that I was just too lazy...  It seemed like a lot of work and he didn't smell, so I thought it can wait.  But as the photos show, he adored the bath.  Looks like we are going to have to give him more, only because he enjoyed himself so much.

After two blow-outs and multiple pee-outs in the last couple of days, we officially need to move up a size in diapers.  I have never had an issue with his diapers until this past weekend.  Since then I've had to change outfits numerous times (some multiple times a day) and I'm now just putting two and two together.  I am going to TRY to finish out the rest of our size 1 diapers which will probably get us to the weekend.  But this weekend, at the age of 6 weeks, we are going to be moving into size 2 diapers (already!).  Finn didn't switch over to size 2s until she was 20 weeks old!  And he doesn't fit into the majority of his 3 month footie-sleepers.  I tried to put one on him the night before last and the poor kid couldn't stretch his legs out.  So I think that I need to start pulling out the 3-6 sleepers for bed.  We have a Big Fish on our hands!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment