Sunday, August 17, 2014

Gone fishin' at 28 weeks

  • According to my unscientific weighing and measurements, Fish is weighing in at a whopping 21.5  pounds!!  And he is measuring in at 28.5 inches.  His six month checkup that was scheduled for earlier in the month was rescheduled due to the pediatrician being unavailable.  The new appointment is next week, so I'll update you next week on his official weight & height then.
  • We are currently sporting size 3 diapers.  But I ran out of 3's earlier in the week and put him in sister's size 4 diapers.  Sad to say that both of my kids could probably wear the same size.  But with sister moving out of diapers, it won't be happening.  If I wanted to buy size 4's, I don't think that he would have any issues with them.  Sigh...  He's just getting too big too quickly.

  • He is currently wearing size 6-9(6-12) month clothes, but I think that we are really pushing it.  The pants that are shown in the above photo are 6-12.  The waist band and the length won't cut it for very long.  I'm going to be moving him into some 12-18 month pants next week , but I have a crap-ton of 6-12 fall/winter clothes.  I was hoping that he wouldn't be moving into 12-18 until the beginning of the winter.  I'm going to try and keep some of the bigger 6-12 outfits, but the 6-12 month pants are no longer.  Although we could probably move shirts up a size too, I'm going to hold off for a week or two (as I don't have a lot of summer clothes in 12-18).  So long story short, he is in 12-18 month pants, 9 month onesies, and 6-12 & 9-12 month shirts (for a couple of weeks at least).  Here's to crossing your fingers that he will slow down a little bit in order for me to get to use some of those clothes.
  • We are still going strong on the breastfeeding as his chubby little thighs are showing.  He is a big eater, which sometimes exhausts me.  But I wouldn't give it up for the world.  He is starting to slowly stretch out his feedings to every 2.5-3 hours and I think this has a lot to do with the fact that he is eating solids now.
  • Speaking of solids, he is eating like it's his job!  His current fare is bananas, sweet potatoes, pears, apples, acorn squash, butternut squash and green beans, along with oatmeal and barley.  We are going to be starting peas, peaches, pumpkin, carrots, and mangos in the coming weeks.  He is also eating A LOT.  He will eat 2 oz of fruit and 1-2 oz of rice cereal, oatmeal, or barley for breakfast.  And he will eat 2 oz of vegetables and 1 oz of fruit in the evening.  If I would let him, I know that he would also eat during lunch.  I'm going to speak with our pediatrician about how much he should actually be eating, as I don't want him to not get enough breast milk.


  • There are no teeth to speak of -- not even a bump (I thought I felt one this morning, but when I felt again, I think that it was just wishful thinking).  He is drooling all the time and gnawing on everything, but nothing.  (Sister didn't get her first teeth until 9 months and she was exhibiting all the same signs as him just as early as he has been.)
  • Dude is just not a roller.  He has rolled over from both his stomach to his back and from his back to his stomach.  And he has rolled over from his back to his stomach multiple times.  But he just refuses to roll from his stomach to his back.  I know that he can do it -- he just doesn't want to.
  • During tummy time, he is starting to do some scooting.  He can scoot around to face the opposite direction.  And he is kicking his legs and trying to get his booty in the air, which he does a good job of. But tummy time is NOT a favorite activity of his.
  • Fish is sitting up like a boss.  He has an occasional face-plant, but for the most part, I'm pretty comfortable sitting him up on the carpet without pillows on all sides of him.  But definitely not comfortable enough to do it on our kitchen tile or the hardwood floors.  And he doesn't even need to tripod anymore.  He can sit up and pick up a toy and put it too him mouth.  Balance is getting good.
  • He really loves to stand up and is quite good at it.  He will stand with assistance for at least 30 seconds before his knees give out.  I think this has a lot to do with the bouncer that we have (which he loves) and while in the kitchen, he in an exersaucer where he can practice putting weight on his legs.
  • Of course, he still sleeps with us.  Unfortunately, he still isn't sleeping through the night.  He will still get up 2-3 times a night to eat.  He will go to sleep around 8:30 and usually wake up between 7am - 8am.  For naps, he usually falls asleep on his own in his swing, but recently, he has been wanting to be rocked to sleep (which is alright by this mama).
  • While Finn has her lamb, Fish has his blanket.  There is no particular blanket that is needed, but he always falls asleep faster if he is snuggling with a blanket, even better if the blanket is over one ear.
  • Fish is also now a jabber-jaw, except he doesn't jabber, he bellows.  There is lots of loud, long "aaaaaahs" and I mean LOUD.  Finn has started crying quite a few times and when I ask what is wrong with her, she responds that "Brother is yelling at me!"  He does have his jabbering moments, but mostly it's just wild-man calls -- and lots of them.  When we are in the kitchen and I'm starting to prepare his solid food, he starts to get really vocal -- with lots of short wild-man calls.  It's almost as if he wants to make sure that I don't forget about him -- because "I'm hungry!"
  • Dude seriously loves singing and music!  He gets so excited when you sing a song on the radio to him -- it's even better than dancing!  A lot of the times, he will even start singing along with you, which is really cute.  Unfortunately, Finn doesn't appreciate the back-up singer that is sitting right next to her in the car when she asks me to sing "Papa's song" (Hush, little baby, don't say a word).  She gets very angry because he is shouting louder than I can sing for her to hear.
  • When he gets excited, his hands go to town!  It looks like he is conducting an orchestra.  His little fat wrists start going in circles.  And when I'm changing his diaper and he doesn't have a shirt on, there is lots and lots of fat-tummy slapping.  He also kicks when he gets excited, which makes diaper changes difficult sometimes.

  • All in all, I'm really loving the age that he is at right now.  He is such a snuggle bear and quite the good baby.  He is fun, full of laughs and makes the greatest faces! 

No comments:

Post a Comment